FrieslandCampina Ingredients consists of 5 Business Units (Domo, Kievit, Medical, DMV, Nutrifeed and a SC OpCo. The Business Group (BG) produces Ingredients for Infant, Medical, Food, Feed and Pharma application and also produces infant final products for customers but also under the Frieslandcampina brand Friso. Products are made at 12 locations (primarily in The Netherlands, one in US, one in Lippstadt and one in China. Production is also outsourced to various toll manufacturers.
BG Quality Assurance (BG QA) is the policy-making body of the BG Ingredients in the field of Quality Assurance (QA), Food Safety (FS), Food Security and Regulatory Affairs (RA). The QAFS team is one of the clusters in the QA organisation (next to QA source, QA Operations, and QA sales). The QAFS & RA manager leads the QAFS & RA cluster (consisting of 6 QAFS specialists and 4 RA specialists) and is overall accountable for performance of the department.
The goals of the QAFS & RA manager are:
To lead and develop a team of specialists in the fields of food safety, regulatory affairs and quality systems in order to provide the BGI and the manufacturing sites with expert advice, technical support, training and audits in order to maintain and improve legal compliance and drive continuous improvement.
- To provide expert advice and technical support on food safety and regulatory affairs in crisis/issue management situations.
- To develop and maintain extended external and internal network of specialists in order to keep up to date with new developments in the field of food legislation, food safety and quality systems and in order to influence upcoming legislation and food safety standards.
- To develop and maintain the BGI Quality Systems which supports compliance and continuous improvement of the BGI.
The responsibilities of the QAFS & RA manager are:
- Responsible for expert advice in food safety issues and crises, facilitates the decision making process by the crisis team (BG management, QA director) to minimize the impact for the business.
- Responsible for maintenance of the crisis handbooks and providing training and communication on the handling of issues and crises.
- Responsible for contacts with external network (specialists, universities, laboratories) during food safety crisis management.
- Leads multidisciplinary teams to identify root causes of crises/issues and development of corrective and preventative actions.
- Proactively informs the stakeholders on trends & developments in the areas of QA, regulatory affairs and food safety, assesses relevance and impact for the BG.
- Leading a team of food safety experts.
- Responsible for development of the food safety strategy for the BGI by developing and implementing policies and procedures on hygiene, microbiology, chemical and physical contaminants, process technology and factory design. Incorporating the needs of the BGI as well as other stakeholders (manufacturing sites, Corporate, R&D).
- Leading initiatives to develop training material and roll out training for manufacturing sites personnel (e.g. site management, QA managers etc.) to improve food safety related standards and ways of working.
- Leading multidisciplinary teams working on improvement projects in food safety related issues (e.g. contaminants, hygiene etc.)
- Reporting on issues/crisis management to RFC Corporate departments, Change Control Board etc.
- Leading a team of regulatory affairs experts.
- Responsible in the Business Group for communication with authorities/ external organizations/ customers and suppliers about regulatory affairs, e.g. preparing official statements.
- Responsible for development of the RA strategy for the BGI,.
- Responsible for alignment and collaboration with Corporate Regulatory Affairs and other BG’s RA groups.
- Responsible for effective communication about new legislation to the BG’s manufacturing sites, QA/Site managers and other stakeholders.
QA & FS strategy and policy
- As member of MTQA jointly responsible for development of QA strategy
- Engages with Corporate initiatives to ensure that BG interests on quality management are taken into account
- Defines and keeps the BG QA & FS policy and statements up to date based upon certification and customer demands, corporate procedures and industry trends. Assures communication and provides training material & workshops to support implementation
- Responsible for translation of the BG food safety policies to specific standards/instructions for other BG clusters (QA operations, QA sales, QA source)
- Defines the certification policy for the locations of the based on industry trends, corporate policy and customer requirements
- Supports the organization in preparation of certification and Foqus audits, supports in the follow-up of shortcomings on BG level
- Develops training material and gives workshops to train QA employees within Ingredients
- Is member of the MTQA Ingredients and the European QA Council (the QA council is owner of the Foqus FS & Q system)
- Provide technical support to the manufacturing sites in the preparation for audits (Foqus, Suppliers, Authorities) as well as the corrective and preventative actions in the audit follow up improvement program.
- Reviews and comments on the Foqus Food Safety and Quality standards on behalf of the BG
- Contributes to the Foqus Food Safety and Quality program as (lead) auditor, executes pre- Foqus audits within BGI
- Executes audits on business processes within the internal organization as lead auditor
Document Management/ ICT systems
- Leads the team of document management specialists
- Responsible for the design and establishment of the Document Management System and processes for the BG.
- Responsible for QA support (on behalf of Ingredients) in global business process templates
- Contributes to the implementation of ICT based systems that support QA related processes including specifications and supplier management
- Internationally oriented
- Fluent in English and Dutch
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, QMS, CI Systems
- Experience with ICT based systems for specifications, document management, supplier management
- Understanding of business processes & implications of decisions
- Knowledge of IFT or Pharma is a pre
- Senior/authority in the area of QA
- Leadership skills, also in crisis situations
- Convincing/inspiring communicator, thinks out of the box, brings people together
- Focus on continuous improvement
- Result oriented
- Team player
- Capability to explain complex matters to non-expert